Tuesday, August 10, 2010

The First Day Of First Grade

School starts tomorrow. My firstborn will begin the first grade. He is very excited about it, and so am I! He thinks he was born to go to the first grade. For about 3 weeks now, that is all I have heard about. First grade this...in first grade that...

I am glad he is excited about it. I cannot imagine how hard it would be if he was dreading school and scared to go in. I don't ever remember being scared on the first day of school, but things were different where I come from. I knew everybody in my class already (all 18 of us who went through all of school together). I always already new my teacher (there was only one per grade). I cannot imagine going through the first day of school now. Kal is in one of 4 first grade classes. he has met his teacher only once, briefly. He has a locker. He has a pin number for the lunch line. He will be logging on to the computer with his own log in information for his school work. Wow. I think that would make me nervous...even now.

He is fearless. He loves to forge through new things. When he falls down, he gets back up again. Sometimes it may take a while, but he does. He forgives. He forgets. He goes on. He keeps his eye on the goal. He is not afraid to be himself. Oh, the innocence.

I have learned a great deal by watching Kal grow. He complements me, which makes things like the first day of first grade not so scary for either one of us.

No comments: