Sunday, August 15, 2010

Eat, Pray, Love

Okay, so minutes ago I finished reading Elizabeth Gilbert's Eat, Pray, Love. Was it a good book? Yes, I believe so. I did not agree with some of her philosophies, but it was very good for me to see "another side" of things, you know, different from my own views. I won't go into much of the book in case I have readers out there who may be interested in reading it for themselves, or seeing the movie.

I will say though that it was inspiring. Not in a leave everything behind and indulge and search for a year kind of way, but it reminded me of the importance of not only talking to God, but listening. How it is equally as important. I can say she's not a Christian, her morals are out of whack, her language is foul, et cetera, but am I a "better person" or whatever because I am a "Christian"? No. Sure, she has some crazy philosophies on God, but her disciplines were inspiring to me. Taking time out of life, every day, for the sole purpose of listening to God. Wow. I go to church, I pray, I read my Bible, I study, but...do I deliberately take time out to listen? Just listen. To be in tune to what he is saying to me. Am I paying attention to the answers He has given me? Am I truly thankful? Do I recognize His work in me, through me? Do I truly understand the fact that He will never leave me, that He loves me...unconditionally? YIKES. She was very clear on her openness and honesty with God, her conversations (and how it is a conversation...she really nailed the relationship part), and totally recognized His voice and that He was talking to her. How many of us recognize God's voice, God's prompting in our own life?

It is important, I believe, to take care of myself. To know who I am in Christ. It is important for everyone. I, for one, am going to work on the discipline of listening...to God. I am going to work on understanding His work in my life. I want to experience God, on every level, not just the levels that are easy for me.

It is so hard to put into words what I really mean here, but I suppose this will have to do, for now. I do think it is funny, though, how the "eat" and "love" parts I already get...it's the prayer that stuck out to me. Hmmm, I think I'll let this soak in for a while.

No comments: